The Key Vocabulary Routine Overview
When: Tuesday, March 9 & Wednesday, March 10 Time: 6:30-8:00 EST
This 3-hour webinar series presents an overview of The Key Vocabulary Routine, a routine for research-based vocabulary instruction. The routine can be used by all content teachers as Tier I instruction and by intervention specialists as Tier II instruction for struggling readers. The workshop has been developed for grades 3 -12 content teachers, literacy specialists, special education teachers, and administrators.
This workshop covers the following topics:
- Overview of the research on effective vocabulary instruction
- Alignment of the routine to reading standards in the Common Core State Standards
- Overview of each component in The Key Vocabulary Routine
- Four activities for teaching words in relation to other words (semantic mapping, semantic feature analysis, categorizing, scaling)
- Strategies for choosing specific words to teach in-depth
- Templates for teaching individual words (Frayer/Four Square, Concept Definition Map, Two-Column Notes)
- Use of context and word parts to determine the meaning of an unfamiliar word Creating a word-conscious classroom
- Examples of how these components can be taught using content area reading materials
Participants will leave this workshop with hands-on instructional activities that can be used immediately. Administrators will gain an understanding of a school-wide routine for teaching vocabulary that provides consistency from grade to grade and subject to subject.
This Keys to Literacy series is being facilitated by: