The Junior Counselor Leadership Program (JCLP) is a counselor-in-training program for middle school ages 11-13 years. The training involves many facets of Camp Curiosity with real-life leadership experience assisting camp counselors. We welcome the summer fun Camp Curiosity can provide, while offering participants the opportunity to adapt new skills and obtain stronger levels of responsibility. We help our middle school participants set and achieve personal goals. JCLP is structured uniquely for teenagers with a careful balance of program components that foster character strength.
WHO: Junior counselors will assist our amazing camp staff from our own TLS community and qualified counselors from partnering education organizations. We will try our best to thoughtfully connect junior counselors with camps of their interest. JCLP participants will not always be offered the luxury of choosing camps they wish to assist with. Please note: This is a selective program and is capped at 15 per week.
WHAT: Junior counselors will learn leadership skills through hands-on assistance to camp teachers and counselors. Participants will gain a meaningful sense of responsibility through connecting with individual campers and learning how to be a supervisor, role model, and friend. Additionally, all JCLP participants will receive Health and Safety certification prior to beginning the session and a Leadership Program certificate when/if the individual session is completed.
WHEN: Junior counselor participants must commit to one full week of camp (daily prorating is not an option). Junior counselor participants are encouraged, upon acceptance, to sign up for several weeks of this great leadership experience.
The entry fee of $150 includes JCLP + Health and Safety certification, t-shirt, snacks each day, and group orientation breakfast Monday and lunch on Friday.
JCLP Program Dates:
June 5 – 9
- Age 11 – 13
- Genuine interest in working with campers as a positive role model.
- Ability to model the main values of Camp Curiosity: assist nurturing, safe, and fun environment for campers.
- Evident ability to be active for long periods of time.
- Must be able to respectively accept guidance and supervision.
- Must be able to follow rules and policies
- Completion of the Junior Counselor Application
- Attend JCLP meetings.
- Assist camp staff with supervision of campers.
- Assist camp teachers with camp activities.
- Be present to accompany campers during drop-off and pick-up.
- Organize and distribute camp supplies.
- Help camp staff maintain a clean and sanitary facility.
- Provide nurturing and positive experience for campers.
Junior Counselor Leadership Program
Rules and Policies
- DRESS CODE: JCLP dress code requires active shorts or pants suitable for camp day. Gym shorts or pants with T-shirt are recommended. Shorts and pants must be appropriate length and appropriate size. Camp Curiosity t-shirt must always be worn appropriately.
- BELONGINGS POLICY: JCLP participants are responsible for his/her own belongings. Camp Curiosity staff will accept no responsibility for lost or damaged items. Items of value should be left at home. Please only bring items necessary for the camp day.
- RESPECTFUL USE OF CAMP ROOMS, SUPPLIES, AND EQUIPMENT: The use of camp rooms, supplies, and equipment for reasons other than camp staff instructions is prohibited. Unless directly instructed with noted permission from a camp director.
- LUNCH/DINNING POLICY: JCLP participants must bring a packed lunch. Refrigerated storage is available. Ordering delivery lunch will not be an option. Snacks will be provide at two periods throughout the day. JCLP participant must eat lunch in the cafeteria and sit with campers they have been assigned to monitor. On Fridays Camp Curiosity will provide lunch for all JCLP participants.
- CELL PHONE POLICY: Cell phones are allowed for in case of emergencies but should remain out of sight. Phones must be put away and never an inconvenience to duties. If phones appear to cause distractions, they will be placed in a lock box in Camp Director’s office and parent/guardian must pick.